Essential Question

What is the most important thing to know in the diagnosis of infectious disease?
Victoria M.
North House
Senior Topic: Infectious Diseases

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Independent Component 1

Literal 
       a.) I, Victoria Montoya, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
       b.) I researched 20 different infectious diseases, and wrote up my own fact sheets on them. On each fact sheet, I included a picture, the causes, the name, symptoms, complications, tests, and prevention towards getting the disease.

Interpretive
  •  Doing this matrix of diseases, I focused on bacterial vs viral. What I found very significant, is that vaccination plays a huge role against infectious diseases. A lot of disease are easily preventable, its just that people do not take the right precautions like vaccination and eating foods that have been cooked thoroughly or making sure water is treated correctly. I also noticed that most of the infectious disease are zoonotic diseases, meaning that they mutated in order to infect humans. When I asked Dr. Collisson, what makes infectious disease so much more rampant now, she answered that it is because animals and humans live in such close quarters now, that it makes it easier for diseases to mutated. With my independent component I found evidence of this. A lot of diseases that originated from Africa tend to happen because of the close proximity with animals. My independent component identifies 30 hours because, I had to write each fact sheet, which took about an hour, I then had to go through websites and decided what information is relevant, and if the website I am pulling information from is credible. After finding the right source, I would print out the articles and margin note it for my Working Bibliography.  Each of the diseases took about an hour and thirty minutes, and putting it a portfolio, took about an hour.
Applied
  • This helped answer my EQ, because if most of the disease are preventable by vaccination, then the vaccination history can play a big role in diagnosing an infectious disease. For example, Influenza is easily preventable by vaccination, many people go to the doctor anyways, and get a prescription for over-the-counter medication. But if someone were to go, and had already gotten their vaccination, the Influenza is already ruled out and can be decided to go towards a different path in diagnosing a disease. With my Independent Component, I also learned that testing and diagnosis point chart, play a huge role in diagnosing. The point method I found very interesting because each symptom values to a certain amount of points, if the points add up to a certain amount, that is the path of treatment the doctors take.

No comments:

Post a Comment