Essential Question

What is the most important thing to know in the diagnosis of infectious disease?
Victoria M.
North House
Senior Topic: Infectious Diseases

Monday, October 17, 2011

Independent Component 1 Plan Approval

 1.)  I am very indecisive so I have three ideas for my Independent Component:
  • I plan on  volunteering at the Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Fontana. I am hoping on working in the emergency room where most infectious diseases are found, if not I think I will be helping with patients in the hospital. With this I want to do my service learning as well.
  • I plan on doing extensive research on my topic and going more into depth of what each disease is caused by, its symptoms, its relations to areas or other diseases ect.
  • I plan on taking a college class at Cal-Poly, the Microbiology Lab, so I can learn more about the study of microorganisms, and the role the play in the enivornment and how the disease process is.
 2.)
  • This will meet my 30 minute requirement because I will be clocking in the hours of how long I will be volunteering there. Also I plan on volunteering twice a week, and volunteering for 5 hours each day.  
  • I will clock the hours of research I do, with the note-taking and the reading. I also believe that I will meet the 30 hour requirement, because I will be looking up disease after disease, and reading intensely on each disease. Knowing that there are thousands of disease I am sure that I won't run out of research or new things to learn.
  • I will meet the the 30 hour mark because I will try and take Microbiology Lab at Cal-Poly, where the class goes for almost three hours every day, twice a week. And from that I will do my work as well for the class adding more time, for me to put.
3. This relates to my EQ, because;
  • This relates to my EQ because I learn how to interact with sick people, and that will help me see how seeing a patient's symptoms, on the outside, help a diagnosis. I will also learn how to be more careful around people and to listen more carefully when they speak. This is essential when you listen to a patients complaints and past medical history. My second interview taught me that medical history is very significant in diagnosing a disease.
  • This relates to my EQ because it helps me learn more about diseases, with this I will have knowledge of more disease helping me understand, what is essential on knowing to diagnosis a disease.
  • This relates to my EQ , because to know how to diagnosis an infectious disease, you need the basis knowledge of how microbiology works, and what causes the microorganisms to wreak so much havoc in a body.

1 comment:

  1. These all look good. My advice would be to do #3 for Independent Component #2 as I don't think you'll be done with the class by mid-February. Either one or two would be good for IC #1. If you did number 2, I'd like you to create some kind of matrix of infectious disease or something of the sort.

    ReplyDelete